Brethren Sock #1 Finished

What a great learning experience this was. Here is the finished sock. Now, on to the next one! I took a chance and estimated how much extra yarn I would have and decided to double up on the strands on the toe so that it is reinforced. I had enough, thankfully. I think I still have enough that I may go back now and add some after-the-fact reinforcing to the heel, so holes don't grow there as I wear these.

Millard, your pattern is brilliant! Thank you.


Brethren Socks

Well, I took the plunge and began the Brethren Socks. After studying the pattern and trying to visualize how things would be different using magic loop knitting, I decided to just forge ahead and see what mischief might befall me. After a couple false starts and a few hiccups along the way, as well as encouraging words from Crafty Andy, things went along pretty smoothly. I ended up changing to DPNs to do the heel, turning the heel, and the gusset. Now I am back to the circulars for the foot.

Paralympic Gold Medal

About an hour ago, one of my former students from two years ago visited me at school. He is on the USA Paralympic Hockey team and just got back from Sochi, Russia. We had parent-teacher conferences tonight and he brought his gold medal over for me to see. I was so touched and honored that he would do that. I had fun holding and wearing the medal and posing with him. His name is Brody Roybal and is the youngest member of the team at age 15, and one of the most genuinely nice people on the planet. I just wanted to share this excitement with all you guys.

Seed Stitch Cowl

I had some yarn left over from my son's slippers, so I thought I'd work up a nice hat. With all the seed stitch discussion we have had in an earlier post, I thought I might as well practice it, since I have never used it for anything. When I got to the place where I needed to decrease, I just couldn't find any good ways to decrease using seed stitch. I tried all sorts of combinations of things and they just looked ugly. So...a cowl was born!



Slippers and Cowl

Here are the orange slippers I made for my son. I used Patons Classic Wool Roving Bulky which I substituted for holding two strands of worsted wool...much nicer to work with. Very soft. About 4 sts/in.

The cowl is made with Malabrigo Rasta Pure Merino Wool, super bulky in Ravelry Red...2 - 2.5 sts/in. I apologize for the blurry photos, but the red is so vibrant, it is hard to photograph.

Anyone Know Which Stitch This Is?

I bought a blanket awhile ago and it said it was made in a sweater stitch. I'm not sure what that is and can't find it. Here's a picture. It's as clear as I could get it. I don't know what I would use it for. It drapes...that's pretty much it's function, other than holding body heat well. It wouldn't be good as a sweater unless you wanted one that would probably keep growing as you wear it.

Simple Cowl

You can tell when I am homebound because of snow and cold. I knit like a madman! I made a cowl out of a Berroco yarn similar to the scarf I made. It's a bulkier weight, so I used US10 needles and, again like the scarf, I simply did a 2x2 rib. Ken, I used the miraculous bind off you mentioned and it worked well. I still get a bit of a fluted and, but that's probably because there is so much yarn to work with. It's got a greener metallic tinge to it, but it will go well as extra protection to the wicked cold we are having this winter.