A friend just adopted a newborn baby, so I thought I'd knit something for him. I chose this cute drawstring kimono from a pattern search on Ravelry. The day I heard about the baby, we were taking our school kids on a field trip and I knew I'd have some time to cast on and get started, so I popped out quickly to my LYS, but they weren't open yet. I stopped by Jo Ann and picked up a 16-inch US6 circ, but couldn't find any baby blue yarn I liked, so I went with my Irish instincts and did green instead. It's a nice soft acrylic so I don't worry about the baby being allergic or something.
It starts top down from the collar (flat) and does increases at the shoulders for raglan sleeves. This is the first time I've done raglan sleeves, so I was fascinated to see how they develop.
Once you get the shoulders done, you put those stitches on holders and continue in the round down the body. There's a little yarnover action at the bottom to make the holes where you thread the drawstring. Then you put the stitches from the holders back on the needles. The pattern said to work flat and then seam the sleeves, but I was puzzled by the gap that leaves in the armpit, so I picked up in the armpit and did the sleeves in the round. I guess I could have seamed a gusset out of that part, but this seemed better to me. Very likely I misunderstood the pattern somehow.
I had some Celtic knot buttons somewhere, but I couldn't find them, so I used these nice gold buttons instead. I think they look good with the green anyway. It was a pretty easy pattern and fun to make, though it took longer than it should have because I just didn't get the time to knit. Guess that's a bigger problem I need to work on.