Ya'll warned me that novelty yarn was difficult to work with. But, hell, I bought 5 balls of it and I didn't do so to look pretty sitting in my closet. So I thought I'd try a quick project to get the feel of the yarn.
I started out digging around in the guts of the ball, looking for the end, big mistake. It took me about an hour to unravel and rewind the ensuing mess and I ended up with 2 smaller center-pull balls - mistake number two. I guess this stuff is to be worked from the outside in; at least that's how I'm going to do it from now on unless one of you shows me a better way.
I decided to make a cell phone caddy for my boyfriend and I couldn't be more thrilled with the end result. My only problem with the actual knitting was finding the little nub to fix a dropped stitch that had unraveled a bit. I wasn't able to fix it quite right, but thankfully the yarn hid the mistake very well, after I stitched it up. I can't even see it in the end product.
I was a bit perturbed when the ball got all tangled up again. I salvaged as much as I could, about 10 yards, and left the rest on the floor for the cat to enjoy. It was largely his fault the yarn got tangled again anyway. I guess it's all yarn to him, whether it has been knit into a toy that he is allowed to play with or sitting in a ball attached to dad's knitting needles that he's not allowed to play with.
So I got the dimensions for my boyfriend's cell phone off the internet, doubled the width to determine how many stitches to cast on and went to town. I added red cotton yarn to the top two rows to make it sturdier and easier for him to put the phone into.
When I cast off, instead of pulling the yarn through the last loop to knot it off, I switched to a big 'ol crochet hook and, keeping the two yarns together for added strength, crocheted a long chain. When it was long enough, I stitched shut the satchel portion and crocheted the end of the chain into the opposite side.
The final product looks like this: