I feel that I've been doing too much freestyling lately; knitting "by the seat of my pants", so to speak. While the results have been good, I know that I can't learn new techniques by watching Knitty Gritty alone, I have to follow a pattern. Unfortunately, every time I try to follow one, my project turns into a horrible mess.
I decided to sit down, turn the artsy-fartsy right-brain off and follow a pattern; this time a chart. So I chose one of the thousands of free charts from the internet and hunkered down, determined to make this one come out right.
I can't say that I didn't make any mistakes, but I can say that I didn't leave any behind. Fixing mistakes is pretty tough when you're doing relief work, I've found. Nevertheless, I actually managed to make this one work!
I originally started the project to be a washcloth. At 40 stitches x 80 rows, it seemed like a great dishcloth. Besides, I love the delicious irony of having a skull & crossbones in the kitchen. Sadly, the final project is just too large for a dishcloth (9" x 10.5") and far too cool to use in such a manner. I'm considering framing it, but would welcome suggestions on how I could put it to use.
MAD PROPS TO BRIGITTE'S KNITTINGPAGE FOR THE FREE PATTERN!