So earlier this year, like many of us, I was inspired and motivated to find Jane Ellison's Queensland Collection Book 9. Since I had always either made my own pattern or converted a pattern, I thought I'd try my hand at knitting a sweater following a pattern AND using the yarn the pattern called for. Carey caught my eye and despite it being a pieced sweater, I figured that the sewing of the pieces would be a nice break from the knitting once it was done. I was wrong. Not that the sewing in itself would have been that difficult, but if you look at the detail pic at the bottom, you can see that the sweater is actually knit using two colors of yarn (a gray and a blue).
Attaching the sleeves to the body was a nightmare. Once I forced myself to get those done, I put it aside, didn't knit anything and I think I just played my Xbox for a couple of weeks in my spare time.
Realizing that being put off by a little sewing was silly, I picked up the sweater again to join the side seams from waist to underarm and continue down to the wrist all in one continuous seam. After completing almost half of the side seam, I realized that I was off in the matching of colored rows. So, I ripped it out and started over. Several times. By the time I finished the one side and arm seam I was so sick of this sweater, I put it down for a couple of months. In the meantime, my Xbox got more use and I unlocked all kinds of achievements in various games, but the knitting vibe was eventually calling me back.
Rather than sew up the remaining seam, I searched my stash for some yarn, pulled out Knitting in the Old Way and desperate to knit something in the round, made my own design and pattern for a traditional fisherman's sweater (pics and details of that to follow in another post) with seamless saddle shoulders. By the time I got stumped on the saddle shoulders of that one, I came back to Carey and sewed up the remaining seam.
While I was knitting the pattern, I liked it. I didn't really change too much except I made the sleeve more tapered than it called for. Once I got it blocked, I realized the sleeve cap was too small. It made me wonder if the model from the book has toothpicks for arms. I'm not that big in the upper arm, but it was just sized very strangely. Even after re-blocking the upper arms, the sizing is still off. You can see a bulge in the upper arm on the left side of the pic above to see what I mean. It's on both sides, but only showed up on the left side of the pic.
The other unexpected feature was that the sweater stretched quite a bit from side to side once it was washed and ready to block. I didn't do anything unusual when washing it and removing the excess water.
One thing I really liked in the design of the sweater can be seen in the detail pic below.
Rather than decrease at the edge of the neck line, she called for the decreases to be done 4 stitches before the edge. I liked this technique and have filed it away for future sweaters.
I like the other sweaters in this book, but as others have mentioned in recent posts, I will convert any pattern to a seamless sweater and I will also double check her measurements against records of sweaters I have in my notebook.