Submitted by Serge664 on Wed, 2006-08-02 09:54
After a little trial and little more error, I was able to get some decent soles on my clogs.
I used rug backing with about 1/2 a bottle of black paint mixed in, and made the templates from heavy duty cardboard - the sort used for book binding. This stuff is a pain in the (wherever) to cut, so i changed my original Dr. Martins type design for one with minimal turns and curves. I cut it with a dremel, and managed to keep all appendages.
Submitted by Serge664 on Fri, 2006-07-21 19:48
Finished the 1st pair.
Not a stellar success, one turned out lopsided and I grabbed the wrong needles to knit up its brother... and did not notice till I was doing the final bind off.
Fortunately, these little mistakes are hidden in the final product. I just let one felt longer than the other and it's all the same. Or at least close enough for me.
Submitted by Serge664 on Mon, 2006-07-03 08:55
It seems like there have been a lot of anti-purl sentiments made recently, so I thought these might be helpful:
For Pickers (you know who you are) learning the Norwegian purl makes things much faster. This is really good for ribbing or other patterns with lots of switching. DO keep in mind that this results in a looser purl stitch, which you can either tighten as they are made, or just learn to work with a fun new gauge.
If you have ever bought a Drops pattern book, there is a note in the front about the stitch gauge being looser because of their wacky purl stitch - I believe this is this is the stitch they are using. Norwegian Purl
Submitted by Serge664 on Sat, 2006-07-01 20:32
The move from indy to dallas has changed my "cool guy shag" into something closer to a "homeless guy fro."
I could get a haircut, but i think it is just the excuse i need to make more hats.
I just made the "Manly Slip-Stitched Hat" from the book Just Hats.
I used 2 strands of wool ease instead of kool wool (it is what I had around)
I think it turned out pretty well. I am very pleased with the rows of V's and _'s.