My boyfriend recently noticed my grocery bag dispenser, which I bought at the 'everythings $1' store years ago. It's a simple square of cloth, sewn together like a tube with elastic on the bottom. You put those plastic grocery bags in the top and fish one out with your finger from the bottom. It's a handy little place to store grocery bags, which I prefer to recycle rather than throw them away. It really is a pretty cool cheap-ass gadget. He marveled at it and said, "you could knit this".
"Of course I can," I told him.
So I chose the cheapest, gawdiest yarn I could find (Red Heart Super Saver, in Bikini) and cast on a tube. Admittedly, I should have started with a few rounds of garter stitch, but I wasn't thinking at the time. I fixed the resulting curl by putting in a drawstring at the top (it's Ticker Tape, in case you're wondering), from which it hangs.
I've been working on knitting in the round since I picked up my DPNs last week. Mostly I've been working on a scarf that is about halfway finished but I really like the instant gratification of smaller projects so I whipped up a cell phone caddy for myself.
This is the first project I've done where I've used different colors of yarn and I'm pleased overall with my knitting, although I'm less than thrilled with this particular cell phone caddy as a useful piece.
This is also the first caddy which I knit in the round. It's a simple tube with i-cord at the top. I wasn't sure how changing colors within i-cord would work, but the effect is not too bad, albeit a bit lumpy.
I decided that I wanted my cellphone caddies to be seamless so I picked up a set of double-pointed needles and taught myself to knit in the round. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself.
Yes, they told me on Knitty Gritty that knitting in the round is far easier than it looks, but I had my doubts and cautiously started with a little 4-stitch I-cord. When that came out well, I decided to throw caution to the wind and knit a small tube.
Ya'll warned me that novelty yarn was difficult to work with. But, hell, I bought 5 balls of it and I didn't do so to look pretty sitting in my closet. So I thought I'd try a quick project to get the feel of the yarn.
I started out digging around in the guts of the ball, looking for the end, big mistake. It took me about an hour to unravel and rewind the ensuing mess and I ended up with 2 smaller center-pull balls - mistake number two. I guess this stuff is to be worked from the outside in; at least that's how I'm going to do it from now on unless one of you shows me a better way.
I'm sure many of you have the same problem I do when it comes to gifting for mother. What do you give to someone who never wants anything? I never know, but I'm glad that I took up knitting because now I can give her something that I made myself. Moms are such saps for that kind of shit.
Introducing mother's coaster set. It's a set of 8 coasters with a matching holster pocket. The coasters are really just small dishrags starched and pressed flat. The pocket is a long flat rectangle decreased to a point at one end with some elastic sewn into it to make a button catch. It probably would be nicer if I had knitted it in the round, but I'm still getting the hang of that, so I stitched it together on the side. Not all of the coasters are 100% perfect, although 3 of them are, the other 5 are between 90%-98%.
This is for the guys who asked about my k3, p3 dishcloth. I think the knit pattern would show up better if I had used a solid color yarn. I didn't post it when I completed it because I'm not thrilled with the way it turned out, but since you asked, here it is, shown with the 5x5 for contrast. The finished product is about 6"x 6", while the bigger one is 7"x 8 1/2".
For those of you who expressed interest in my balls, I present to you the latest incarnation of my cat ball toy!
The pattern that came with my 'learn to knit' kit resulted in a ball toy that is more appropriately called a kitten ball. Sure, they were popular among my 12 lbs. and 17 lbs. neutered males, but my cats aren't kitties, they're CATS, and big, butch ones at that, so some alteration to the pattern was clearly in order.
I started out adding an additional row of knit 1, invisible increase, repeat and a resulting additional row of knit 2 together, repeat later in the pattern. The end product was a significantly larger ball, approximately the size of an egg and was very popular with my boys.
OK, I admit it. I've caught knitting fever. Yesterday I stopped by Michael's for some more yarn for my Mother's Day project, which is nearing completion. While I was there, I saw that they had some really cute and soft novelty yarn (Wild! by Moda Dea) for $1 per ball. I've been wanting to try knitting with novelty yarns for awhile, so I picked up a ball, thinking I'd whip out a few cat toys to give this yarn a try.
When I got home, I noticed that Michael's regular selling price for this yarn is $8.99 per ball. Well, this was more than the cheapskate Pennsylvania Dutch in me could handle so I had to go back today to clean them out. While I was at it, I picked up a few balls of Moda Dea's Ticker Tape as well since it was also on clearance $8.99 down to $1.