It's been a struggle to trust the pattern on this one, but true to the advice I have gotten from so many, the pattern is proving to be perfect. The think I don't like is that it is on a grid that uses two colors, green and white. Knitting on the RS, the white is knit and the green is purl. When on the WS, the white is purl and the green is knit. In addition, part of the pattern repeats, so one has to remember where to stop and start correctly with each row. After awhile it makes sense, but it is never a passive knitting experience, my brain is always engaged. I still love the pattern and the afghan is starting to have weight now that it is abut 10" high and 45" or so wide.
I had an embarrassing moment a few days ago when I began to recount to get ready for a pattern switch. I realized that things were going okay until I was beginning the second part of the repeated section. The stitches didn't match. After about an hour of studying the pattern and the afghan. They matched...or did they? So I began to count the new pattern section's stitches and discovered to my surprise that I miscounted on the very first row for the first row of horizontal striping. I ended up with sections of 26 stitches when I should have only been using 24. The OCD part of me wanted to rip the whole thing out and start over. The realist in me figured out if I just k2tog at the beginning and end of each horizontal section for one row of stitching would get the numbers back to what they should be. I chose the realistic approach. I learned to count the pattern very carefully and then work that all-important first row...and then double check!
Anyway, I'd be further along if I hadn't had to tink several rows, but I am please to be finished with 40 rows. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.