I started knitting this sweater on 8/8 and finished (except for weaving in some of the ends) on 10/16... really I guess it's not fair to say I started it on 8/8, because I had been knitting sample swaths for a couple of months to try to find stitch patterns I liked. The inspiration for the sweater was a Marc Jacobs design I saw on Bluefly that I liked - they no longer have it up on the website, and I didn't save off the pic, so I can't refer you to it for comparision. But, what I liked about the sweater was that it had stripes of an open pattern interspaced with stockinette.
I knitted sample after sample of yarn-over and lace patterns from Barbara Walker's first book (the only one I have), until one day another MWKer showed me his copy of her second book, and I spotted this "deep waffle" pattern, copied it down, and knitted that up... and that I really liked. It doesn't match the pattern in the MJ sweater exactly, but I liked how it looked. I sampled it interspaced with just stockinette, and I thought the bands of stockinette looked a little plain, so I experimented with another stitch in Barbara Walker's first book that she calls "Tunisian" knitting. It comes out looking very much like a double crochet. Basically, you do one round of slip/yarn-overs, and then come back through and knit together the yarn-over with the stitch. So I used this to alternated with stockinette at the background stripes.
I have a piece of software called "The Sweater Wizard", and after I had the pattern I wanted to do in mind, I configured the guage and sleeve length and had it spit out a pattern that I started with. Having knit sweaters with the patterns from this software before, I knew that I didn't like the fit of the sleeves so much. To alter that, I took actual measurements of the circumfrence of my arm, and divided it up into 4 different "zones" of different decrement rates. Since I was knitting this as a raglan sweater in the round, and since I wanted the stripe on the sleeve to line up with the strip on the main body of the chest, I knitted the sleeves from the top-down (the first time I had done that). I started out trying to do that on size 3, 16" circular needles, but that was not fun, so I changed over to double points instead.
I did a tubular cast on at the bottom with a pretty conventional ribbing there, but at the end of the sleeves I just did 3 rows of k1p1 ribbing, and then struggled through a Kitchener bind off with a needle. It's the first time I'd done a Kitchener bind off, but it makes a very nice and stretchy sleeve that pretty much matches the appearance of the tubular cast-on.
About 80% done with the sweater, I had a crisis. I had ordered this sale yarn from Knit Picks - It's their Gloss DK yarn that's 70% merino and 20% silk, and in a color they called Whirlpool. Well, I thought I had ordered plenty of the yarn, but evidently the pattern I was doing (I think particularly the Tunisian stitch) was taking up a lot more yarn that usual, and (as you've already guessed), I ran out! A call to KnitPicks confirms that they've since sold out of this color in Gloss DK, and there's no way to get anymore. Panic ensues. Finally, I order the same color in their "Swish" brand, that 100% superwash wool ... the color match is close, but the yarn without the silk at the top has less shine and looks a little bit darker. So, as normal, now I just pretend I intended to do it that way all along.
Finally, I'm up to the neck and debating about what I should do there. I decided to repeat the theme of the yarn-over "waffle" pattern on a banded neck, but I knew that wouldn't be sturdy enough for a neckline, so when I reached the top, I changed to smaller needles and knitted a hem with k1p1 rib, and then whip-stitched that inside.
I wore it out for the first time today, and it works well for fall weather with a long-sleeved T underneath. Hope you like it too. I appologize for the model - he was having a bad hair day :).