After my reducing disaster a few days ago I picked up a ball of yarn I couldn't' find a use for and had another bash. All the tips that I received on the site have finally got me through my Beanie nightmare. Thanks again to everyone who helped.
You will notice the (on purpose) mistake at the brim. I started knitting back to front in error and flipped my knitting once I realised. This resulted in about ten rows of Purl and the remainder in Knit stitch. What a result - I love it.
I found the nobbly bump on the top a bit tricky to tame but nothing a needle and thread could'nt fix.
My next steps are to hone the techniques I have learned and knit up a few more Beanie's. The proof will be in the pudding and I shall let you all aware of my progress in my own Inimitable style ;-)
Again, I cannot thank you all enough.
P.s. sorry about the photo. I will try and get one in the daylight. I'm soo proud!