SKPO, anyone?

My sis and I were chatting the other day and she mentioned that her pattern called for a "SKPO." She asked me if I'd ever seen it.
Although I told her I hadn't (and I haven't), I wondered if she might be using an old pattern or a pattern from outside the US. I didn't ask her at the time how old the pattern was, but am wondering about that.
I have to say, we weren't taught by anyone on how to knit, so she and I are always relying on books for our info, or just flying blind.
Have any of you seen this abbreviation? She tells me that when she searched it, nothing came up. Would love to hear what you all think of it.



Thor's picture

Depending on where the pattern was written, it could mean Slip 1, Knit 1, Pass (Slipped Stitch) Over. This is a kind of decrease not uncommon in knitting lace patterns.

Gregory Patrick's picture

Yes, I agree, that's a definate "Slip (as if to knit), knit, then Pass slipped stitch over." Kinda makes your decreases move towards the center, so that the angle of the decrease moves aesthetically in one direction.

Tallguy's picture

This is the old version of the stitch we know today as SSK. Which is slightly different than the "improved" SSK. This is also described as a left-leaning decrease.

We had a discussion of this same topic on another list of words for the same thing. It was concerning YO, as it is known today. But in some older patterns, it's written as YFWD or YRN or WRN or WFWD. Same thing -- but described in a way that made sense to the writer -- and knitters -- at that time.

The same happens with chart symbols -- several different versions of the same stitch. Even our own MMario uses his own version of symbols, and as long as he remembers to include the legend in his patterns, it's alright. :-)

Semantics! There are so many ways to be "right".

rmbm612's picture

"SKPO" does mean slip one, knit one, and pass the slipped stitch over the knit stitch. The traditional SSK (slip two stitches one at a time, as if to knit from the left hand needle to the right hand needle, then knit together those two slipped stitches through the back of those stitches) I think makes a neater decrease that leans to the left. And there is a hybrid version of the SSK that I use exclusively.

To make the the hybrid SSK:

1 Slip two stitches SEPARATELY from the left hand needle to the right hand needle. Slip the first stitch as if to KNIT and the second stitch as if to PURL.

2. Slip the left hand needle into these 2 stitches through the front loops from left to right and knit them together.

3. The result is a left-slanting decrease.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your responses. My sister thanks you too, lol.

chipsir's picture

I would take as a slip 1 knit1 pass slip stitch over, I do think the SSK is a much neater decrease but it depends on how you want the finished item to look. I find the inverted horseshoe motif or leaves look better with the skpo and the ssk is better when doing opposite decreasing such as triangular shawls, in the end it is whqt one prefers I think