I purchased this pattern and knitting wools from Meg Swanson at School House Press. It is a pattern by the late Dale Long called “Christmas Past”. It comes in only 1 size as this is the prototype but with the recommendation that other sizes might be obtained by altering the gauge or by altering the number of stitches. I used Jamieson Shetland jumper weight wool. The colour way has six colours, one of which is a rogue red which is included in some rows as the third colour (violating the Fairisle pattern rule of only 2 colours per row). I found it very challenging to have the third strand because I tend to knit tighter with my right hand and the red stitches were carried over multiple other stitches. I worried the entire time about puckering but fortunately, my diligence paid off and I didn't end up with any smocking. As usual, this is knitted in the round with steeks. I knitted “contintental” with both strands in my left hand. The needle sizes were 3.5 mm and 3.0 mm. The pattern is a 10 stitch repeat with a gauge of 28 stitches. I could not get gauge with the needle size recommended by the pattern but that may be because I knit rather loosely. I did have trouble with the collar pattern and never could get it right (or maybe there is an error in the pattern?). I knitted a lining for the collar. It blocked nicely but I did over-block it and the cuffs are too large and I need to reblock it to bring them back down to a tighter size. I did make one big error which stranded knitters will understand. It is not obvious in the finished garment. The last jumper I knitted had the light colours dominant and the dark colours recessed. So, without giving it much thought, I went ahead and did the same with this pattern. However, it should have been reversed and the design colours (darker) should have been dominant. Consequently, the design of trees and holly don't stand out quite as much as they would have otherwise. One interesting aspect of this pattern is the way the sleeves are knit. I think Meg calls them “full body” but I can't remember for sure. When starting the steeks for the armholes, 29 stitches are placed onto waste wool. This puts the extra fabric which is usually at the top of the sleeve, at the underarm. I think it makes a nicer looking shoulder. This is a nice and easy pattern (except for the bloody red stitches!) and I was pleased with the service from School House Press.
I think I'm getting better with the photography so I think you'll be able to see the colours better than in my usual postings. I included a photo of the reverse to show the stranding of the colours.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. ~Billy Connolly