Need help identifying a sweater

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I want to make a sweater for my hubby, he likes the ones with the big collar that has the buttons that go down the side onto the shoulder. Has anyone seen any patterns like this or know what this kind of sweater is called?

I think the reason i can't find aything is because i'm not searching for the right thing.

Any help would be much appreciated.



purlyman's picture

is it the blue one in this?


davidjames181's picture

Kind of but with a biiger collar similar to a shawl collar...

teejtc's picture

Todd Gocken's "Brigade" might be close:

It has a zipper instead of buttons, but perhaps that wouldn't be too hard to change (Todd is very approachable and on Ravelry, he might even be willing to help you through it....)

Grace and peace,

MMario's picture

I think of them as "russian closure" but don't think I've ever heard a term for it other then "asymettric"

I take that back - I have heard them described as "cossack"

MMario - I'm not divorced from reality - we're having a trial separation

Joe-in Wyoming's picture

I may be misremembering but I think there is a fisherman's sweater that has this type of collar/shoulder. Very snug at the neckline and the buttons go down onto the shoulder a short way to allow it to be pulled on. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the book and author I found it in. I'm pretty sure Gladys Thompson's book shows an example but the one I'm thinking of was more recent and discusses the technique more fully.

Books, knitting, cats, fountain pens...Life is Good.

potterdc's picture

Hi David,

There's the Pyorre Sweater from the Twist Collective, maybe not quite what you want but maybe close. I'm thinking of doing it without the hood and pocket:

Think less, enjoy it more.

I think it was Bill who posted a picture of this sweater last year. I'm pretty sure it was just a commercial photo though without reference to a pattern or designer.