So I've been working on a pair of socks for myself for months now. Two at a time on circs with yarn I dyed myself. I've been really happy with the way they're coming out. They're my take-everywhere-knit-a-row-when-I-have-a-minute project, and since my feet are size 14, and I'm knitting with size 2 needles, and I rarely have a minute, it's taken quite a while. No biggie, as they're just something to keep my hands busy.
And then I re-read the instructions. See, this is the first time I've ever dealt with the afterthought heel in a pattern. I've been knitting along and finally got them to the right foot length, only to discover I've been measuring against my whole foot. With afterthought heel, you're supposed to start measuring from a spot directly under your ankle, not the back of your foot, then once you finish the toe, you go back and add the heel on some provisional stitches you knitted back in the spring.
So I've now got a pair of socks that by the time I decrease and graft the toes, then add the heel, will be a good 1.5" to 2" too long even for my bozo feet. I counted last night, and that's about 24 rows of knitting to rip out on each sock.
Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Started threading in a needle so I can do the rip-back, but there's a little pattern across the top of the foot, so I'm not totally sure I've got them all picked up correctly. Should be interesting. This yarn may well become a whole bunch of hexapuffs. ;)