I've been a bit scattered with my knitting lately...a couple pairs of socks on the needles, a lace shawl that was going great till something got ripped out by accident and I haven't had the courage to wither tink back several rows or try and reconstruct it. And I'm 1/4 of the way into a Spectra scarf, thanks to someone who shared it here. :)
But I did finish this bag; I was inspired by a bag shared here but wanted something a little more interesting in the way of pattern, so I started with 50 stitches in Judy's Magic Cast-on, which equals 100 stitches in a round. I knit 6 or 7 rounds, then 12 rows of left-slanting Turkish rib stitch, 7 rows of alternating K and K1P1 rows ending with a K row, then 12 rows of right-leaning Turish rib and so on till I was sick of it and did a few rounds of stockinette, an eyelet row, and bound off, leaving 6 live stitches on one end.
For the strap, I knit enough 3-stitch I-cord to thread through the bag, emerging at the opposite end from the live stitches, then joined into a 6-stitch row, and did a strap with:
Row 1: K, YO, K, YO, K, YO, K, YO, K, YO, K
Row 2: K all stitches, dropping YOs.
When I had enough, I joined the strap to the 6 live stitches on the bag edge with the Kitchener stitch.
This kind of strap is really stretchy, so keep it in mind, otherwise the bag will be dragging on the ground.
The bag is easy to open, you just pull at the ends; its own weight cinches it closed - you should figure this into the length of the strap as well.
My friend Berfin wanted to try it out immediately, so she grabbed a couple of large balls of yarn and put them in...the new shape was suggestive (to our minds that are rather primed for such) and it was quickly dubbed "The Scrote Tote." Oh well....
With a normal load:
With the two-ball load. :) Well, it shows that the bag sure is stretchy!