This is the latest iteration of a sock I’ve been fooling around with for the past few years and more intensively in the past six months. I would like to make about 10 pairs of socks for myself that I can put through the wash with everything else, like I do with store-bought socks. I have used Ann Norling’s Adult Basic Sock pattern which Bill very kindly walked me through a few years back. I translated the pattern into “double-knit” from the heel flap on. I’ve now knit this sock so many times that I don’t even have to refer to the pattern anymore. I just know what to do next. It’s kind of nice.
So anyway I’ve been experimenting with yarn weights and stitch counts and needle sizes. I’ve knit sock yarn on size ones and while double-knit sock yarn doesn’t feel half bad on your feet it was just way too much work. I knit and knit and knit and knit and nothing happened.
Anyway now I’m experimenting with a DK weight, appropriately enough. I have frogged this particular version with the DK weight 2 or 3 times so far, so the yarn is getting a little fuzzy. It’s an Encore wool/acrylic blend. I switch colors every stitch which makes for a strong, completely interknit, yet very stretchy fabric. The little pool of blue on the front is from an improperly picked up dropped stitch.