Thanks for the feedback, guys! So here's how things went down:
I went to the hardware store and did some pricing, and then went back to the drawing board to work out the details; the shop didn't have one of the pieces I'd need, so I put the idea of a frame on hold until the weekend. Before that time rolled around, my partner convinced me to at least try blocking the blanket folded in half, and if I didn't like it, I could still go with my crazy and significantly pricier option of building a frame. As it turned out, the soak combined with a little stretch in all directions at once was enough to sufficiently block the piece without resorting to purchasing any new equipment or even folding it. After all, it's a blanket, and I don't need it to be blocked to its maximum; I only need it to lay flat.
I can't wait for it to dry so I can hold it up to the light of day.
The pattern is Jared Flood's Leaves of Grass, named after the collection of Walt Whitman's poetry by the same name. During the early charts I was able to actually sneak in some exposure to the poetry on the plain rounds, thanks to e-readers. It was a nice ride, and I was happy to use the excuse to do a bit of sorely needed reading.
The yarn is a merino/bamboo blend dyed by Briar Rose Fibers, and it's actually from a wonderfully generous gift of the guys at the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat the year I was able to be a part of the fun. Several times through this year I began to have wondered if I should have saved the yarn for a sweater, but I absolutely love how it turned out. The bamboo gives it a sheen that makes for a better lace blanket than a sweater I'd be inclined to wear, and I love how the blues seem to ripple in the pattern like water on a lake. I do hope I can get better pictures; our camera died right before Rhinebeck, and I'm currently trying to make do with my old iPhone. Anyway, I have some of you guys to blame for introducing me to Briar Rose Fibers, and I'm grateful. I seem to be developing a bit of a collection of items knit from Chris's yarn.
Blocking wasn't too bad; after a preliminary pinning, I divided the 72 points into quarters and then into eighths, trying to balance the distribution along the edges of the square mats; I used a cardboard tube (actually the one that holds my blocking wires) to check the radius from the center motif to the edge and adjusted accordingly. That's that. I know I've said it before, but blocking lace is such a blast. One of the features I enjoy in this particular pattern is the knitted on edging, which reads beautifully once it's been blocked (not to mention how easy it makes blocking). I'm a little disappointed that I didn't end up making a PVC frame, but maybe some other time...