My school district canceled school today, so I busied myself getting a project done for a friend of mine. Initially, I was just planning on doing the socks, but had enough yarn left over to do a hat as well. So, he gets both. I tried something different with the socks. I used the heavy worsted wool, but instead of using the recommended US7 or US8 needles, I used US5. Since the socks were being done by following a math proportion pattern, I just had to focus on inches instead of number of stitches. My goal was to make very thick feeling socks. It worked. It was a bit tiring on my hands but it all came out just fine. The ribbing on the socks was done with US5 while the ribbing on the hat was US7. The hat is softer and fluffier, but the socks are sturdier, which is what I wanted. My friend will be wearing them under boots.
I forgot to put the link to the hat pattern in the first posting of this. I shall do it now. It is the Jacques Cousteau by Lalla Pohjanpalo and can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jacques-cousteau-hat