Hi guys! After seeing all of Andy's wonderful socks, and shortly after Mark mentioned starting a pair, I decided I'd join the fun and try the Brethren sock pattern as well.
I really liked making these socks. It was an easy pattern to follow and I learned not only how to cable (yes, I've been knitting for 8 years and haven't worked any cables yet. Hard to believe, but I just haven't made anything that's called for them until now.) but also how to work them without the use of a cable needle. This was quite handy as I worked on these on the go quite a bit and I didn't have to keep track of a separate needle.
The only thing I found a bit tricky is that the pattern is intended to be worked with DPNs and I did mine TAAT on one long circular. So there were differences in how the stitches were set up. But with a little careful forethought, this wasn't a bit deal at all.
After a few attempts at getting gauge, I ended up having to go up to a US size 3 needle. I think that when I make these again (and I plan on it!), I will go down a size (to US 2.5) to snug them up just a bit. Otherwise the shaping and fit is very nice.
Thanks go out to Millard for creating such a unique and boldly cabled sock. It really looks and feels great on and I've gotten lots of nice feedback on them. If any of you have thought about trying these, don't hesitate. It's a fun knit and with all the cables, it never gets boring.
Well, cheers guys. I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Take care!