Good evening all! I finished up a pair of socks a few days ago and I'm just getting a chance to post about them. I decided to call them my Kaleidoscope socks because of all the crazy colors. The sock yarn is Imagination from Knit Picks in the
"Pirate King" colorway. I got this yarn a few years ago and finally got around to using it. I've got to say these socks were a bit of a challenge. Not due to the pattern (Yarmando's "Evil Genius") which was a breeze, but because of the quick color changes. From the toe right up to the point of the increases, things worked very well and the color pattern had a lovely random look to it. But once I started the increases for the gussett, things got weird. The colors started to pool in a way that was quite noticably different and unattractive.
So I ripped back to the beginning of the increases and added in a second strand of yarn, alternating it with the first one. This definitely helped, but not enough. The pooling was still too noticeable. So I ripped back again, and added in another strand of yarn, working strand 1, then 2, then 3, then 1, then 2, etc... This seemed to solve the issue and any pooling is so minimal that in order to see it you'd really have to be looking for it.
Something new that I tried on this pair of socks was a different bind off. On my last pair, I used the "Miraculous Elastic Bind Off" from slipslipknit.com. I really liked how stretchy it was, but was hoping for something less visible. Another I have tried in the past is Jeny Staiman's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off and I had similar results...very stretchy, but too visible. I also felt that the top of the sock flared out oddly. Well, Jeny has come up with another bind off that is just what I was looking for. She calls it the Interlock Bind Off.
It is on knitty.com as a tutorial article and there is a YouTube video which I found to be quite helpful. Though the video is for 1x1 ribbing, once you get the pattern of it, you'll find that it could be adapted to any kind of ribbing, or even no ribbing. It is a sewn bind off and I'll mention that it does require a bit of attention. Those who don't like kitchener stitch may not like this one. The steps are similar to kitchener, though everything is done on one needle. And though it took longer to do than other bind offs, I loved the end result and feel it is well worth it. You can see below how even after being stretched out, it returns to its relaxed shape quite nicely.
You can also see that I decided not to do any pattern or ribbing up the leg. I felt that with this yarn it's all about the colorway and the effect is really lost with anything other than plain stockinette. So I did 2x2 ribbing for the last 8 rows to make sure the top edge wouldn't roll over.
Well, I hope everyone had a great weekend and here's to a great Monday, too!
Take care, Ken.