Silly Question #1 -- S2KP

I want to start MMario's Faux Spanish Lace Shawl.

I saw SKP (I think) on Knitting Help. I need visuals so I watched it.

Is an S2KP the same except you slip twice....but for the "P" you grab BOTH or just the first slip?

Logic says slipping both would be S2KP2 but hell...who knows if I am logical!


I'm going to open up a HUGE heated battle on here but here goes:

Slip 2, knit 1, pass the two slipped stitched over the knitted stitch is exactly the same as knitting two together through the back loop. Zimmerman disagrees, but I defy anyone to tell the difference from the back of a galloping horse. Try it for yourself: do the s2kp using big yarn on big needles then do the k2togbl and compare. The latter is easier and faster.

But back to your question: you slip both the slipped stitches over the knitted one.

~Mike in Tampa
Yahoo Id: stickywarp2001

Celowin's picture

Admittedly, I'm not checking myself with a swatch, but I don't see how they could be the same. If I'm thinking right, S2KP is a double decrease, while K2togbl is only a single decrease.

Sorry. It's late and I'm pooped. The library was a bitch tonight . . . I meant k3togbl. I'll just go back to my cave and molder into dust.
~Mike in Tampa
Yahoo Id: stickywarp2001

Tucker303 hands stickywarp a can of Endust

MMario's picture

Mike - I will agree with you - I don't see any difference in an skp and k2togbl;
but I will disagree with you because I do see a difference in k3togbl and s2kp.

In the former the leftmost stitch ends up on top and to my eye it is a right leaning decrease. in the s2kp the center loop ends up on top and it is a balanced decrease. YMMV

MMario - ambiguity is cultivated, it doesn't happen in a vacuum!

MMario - I'm not divorced from reality - we're having a trial separation

Celowin's picture

I think it depends on how you slip the stitches. If you slip them purlwise, s2kp looks pretty close to a k3togtbl. If you slip the stitches as if to knit 2 together, you get a more centered decrease.

In the end, though, I don't think any of them is going to look bad.

shoot...I am a rooky! Now I gotta look up the video for K2togbl......better to learn me thinks....

VillageKnittiot's picture

Yes, you'd slip both slipped stitches over the knitted one. I am also doing the faux spanish lace at the moment. I just tried the k3togbl thing, it does look exactly like the other stitch combo. (however, I can do the slips faster than the k3togbl... or I need sharper needles.)

MMario's picture

Not a silly question at all. It probably should be abbreviated s2kp2. However, since I tend to abreviate it as 'A' anyway - for me the point is moot. (whether or not the point is mete is another issue)

BTW - please - no "SuperMMario" - I'm older then he is to begin with; plus he is the bane of my existance!!!! Stupid plumber!
MMario - ambiguity is cultivated, it doesn't happen in a vacuum!

MMario - I'm not divorced from reality - we're having a trial separation

scenter's picture

Just don't get dyslexia:

S2KP = Slip-2 Knit-1 pass both slipped stitches over
SK2P = Slip-1 Knit-2-together pass slipped stitch over

Come to think of it - shouldn't MWK have it's own stitch dictionary? Does it exist already?

atravelingknitter's picture

just an fyi on knitty gritty today they were knitting a corset that has a lace top and the vertical decrease was shown date of show was nov 15th might solve your problem I think they have the demo on dyi web site

A Traveling knitter

BuduR's picture

a corset? OMG I REALLY miss DIY

MWK's Token Estrogen-American