Success! The Green Lantern cap...

A few days ago I posted about the "failed" Green Lantern cap... it had turned out a little too big and a wash & dry turned it into a tiny little hat (that now looks like a cute little flapper hat that might fit the daughter of the guy for whom it was knit!) So I took what I'd learned, modified the pattern for the hat and logo, and gave it another shot. I think I like this one. I've also loosened up with the stranding, which does make a big difference. There are two more of the logos... a trinity of Green Lantern logos around the hat.

Comments

albert's picture

Good show. In what way did you modify your pattern?

purlyman's picture

I did a rib stitch around the bottom (K2 P2) instead of a two ply stockinette band (which I do like), dropped the number of stitches from 102 to 96, and changed the logo. The first logo was really tall (too tall) for the size of the hat and was a modified letter O from an alphabet chart. This one I actually drew out myself using the graph paper in the Debbie Stoller knitting journal that I got from the recipient of this hat... so that's nice. And then I used the green around the bottom and for the top instead of having everything tan.

Frank

albert's picture

Good creative work. By "two ply stockinett band" do you mean a turned under hem? I am considering doing this on my next sweater instead of ribbing.

purlyman's picture

Yes... for a few hats, I've knit an extra length of stockinette and then folded the piece up to knit the row on the needles and the cast-on row together. It works really well... don't know if I do it the "right" way, but it works!

Frank

albert's picture

I've seen that technique on the web, but I will probably sew the hem since the cuff and neck hems would have to be sewn. You can only knit the hem together if its at the cast on and not the cast off if I understand correctly, though I might be wrong about this.

MMario's picture

Looks good! Amazing how a pattrern develops when you make more then one...
MMario - ambiguity is cultivated, it doesn't happen in a vacuum!

MMario - I'm not divorced from reality - we're having a trial separation
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MMarioKKnits/

tomanyt's picture

What a great hat!!! I am a huge Green Lantern comic book fan.

MMario's picture

Just the thing to wear "in brightest day and darkest night,", yes?
MMario - ambiguity is cultivated, it doesn't happen in a vacuum!

MMario - I'm not divorced from reality - we're having a trial separation
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MMarioKKnits/

purlyman's picture

I knew nothing about the Green Lantern... my friend was looking at my Tucson Saguaro and Greek Key hats and sent me a link to the Green Lantern logo and said, "I'd love this on a hat". So I gave it a shot.

Frank

Holy cow that was fast. I like it. Someday I hope you will assist me in learning.

I see the wonderful snow shot too! More on the way tomorrow (but I have to work unlike yesterday when it was all Currier and Ives outside)

purlyman's picture

Hey, I'll teach ya! No problem. It's fun and easy. I'm working today too... can't enjoy the nice snow. But I'm taking tomorrow and Friday off. Next week we're driving over to Moab (UT) for a few days!

Frank

Moab...that's right! I should have taken Thursday off...and today (I had NO motivation) and well...Friday too. I love the snow, hate driving in it. I enjoyed knitting yesterday with the lights of the tree on, watching it snow.

BuduR's picture

Nice! The improvements you made are fantastic. when I try to improve on a pattern I usually make it worse, yours always come out fantastic! I've really gotten excited by the ideas of hats lately. Hats and shawls. Eventually I'm going to take the plunge.

MWK's Token Estrogen-American

MWK's Token Estrogen-American