Well, I learned a lesson about making sure ya have the right gauge. I've been working on an alpaca sweater vest and last night at a little short of the half way point noticed that I would run out of yarn before I finished.
I was sure I had enough yarn to do this. Upon trying the thing on and finding that it would probably fit a small elephant I measured the gauge and found my problem.
My swatch had been 6 stitches/inch but the vest was actually 5 stitches/inch. With the number of cast on stitches that was adding way too much to the diameter of the thing.
I frogged it last night and cast on what should be the correct number of stitches, plus a few extra for ease, and started all over again. Good thing this alpaca is enjoyable to work with. LOL
Measure twice, knit once!