The Second Men Who Knit Scarf Exchange is here!
(just updating to keep this near the top of the recent posts list!)
In an effort to avoid complicating anyone’s Holiday Knitting, I’ve avoided a deadline in the holiday season. Instead, we’re celebrating the exchange of the US president by exchanging scarves--our deadline is Inauguration Day: January 20, 2009!
(FYI these instructions are included in the attached file)
There are only a few “rules” (for those of you who did the last exchange, this is all the same.)
1. If you sign up, you’re in. No applications, no wait lists, etc. So, be certain you can knit a scarf by the deadline before you sign up.
2. Please read your spoilee’s questionnaire carefully and follow their preferences. I’ll try to match up people’s preferences, but I can’t make any guarantees. (I will not make you knit with something you’re allergic to.)
3. Please post something to MWK about once a month to keep us updated on your progress.
4. Please include a “little something extra” in your package. Yarn, candies, books, postcards, etc. Your choice.
5. Try to keep your identity secret from your spoilee until the end. Use an email address that doesn’t reveal who you are.
6. There is no minimum or maximum amount you have to spend, but the idea is that you spend what you would to make a scarf for yourself.
October 17, 2008 - Sign ups open. Sign up forms accepted via email at MWKexchange@gmail.com only. Please do not message me at MWK to submit your questionnaire--I’ll get confused (and nobody wants that!).
November 7, 2008 – Sign up period closes.
November 10, 2008 - Match ups go out. As you get your match up, you must contact your spoilee with your anonymous email and let them know someone is getting ready to knit them something. This is a good time to ask for clarification about what’s in their questionnaire if you need more information about fibers, style, etc.
November 14, 2008 – You should have your spoilee's questionnaire by now. If you don't, email me at MWKexchange@gmail.com with No Match Yet in the subject line.
November 21, 2008 – You should have emailed your spoilee with your anonymous email account by now. If you haven't, do it today. If you haven't heard from the person knitting for you, let me know. Please post to MWK once you have some ideas about what you’re going to knit.
December 12, 2008 – At this point, you should have put a second post on MWK, and emailed your spoilee again, as well. If you haven't, do it today. No more telling yourself you have lots of time.
January 2, 2008 – You should have put a third post on MWK by now. You also should have also emailed your spoilee by now. If you haven't, do it today. Only a bit over 2 weeks left!
January 20, 2009 – Your scarf should have been mailed to your spoilee by now. Once you receive your package, please post a picture of your gift to MWK, and email your spoilee to let them know you got it (and that you LOVE it!).
If you know that you can make a scarf by the deadline (January 20, 2009), then copy the questionnaire below, paste it into an email to MWKexchange@gmail.com with MWKSE2 Sign Up in the subject line, and fill in your answers.
3. Mailing address:
4. Colors I like:
5. Colors I don’t like:
6. Fibers I’d like to knit with
7. Fiber I’d like to wear:
8. Fibers I don't like to knit with or wear:
9. Allergies (fiber or pet):
10. Pets in your house (whose fur may become involved!):
11. Styles I like to knit (ex: lace, cables, wild, rustic, etc.):
12. Styles I’d like to wear:
13. Styles I don’t like:
14. Preferred Length:
15. Anything you would like your pal to know about you that they can't find out from your blog or MWK profile:
Questions for your Exchange Coordinator:
1. Would you be willing to be an angel for someone who doesn’t get their scarf? (This means getting a second scarf done quickly after the deadline to cover for someone who couldn’t get finished in time.)
2. If you did the first scarf exchange, who did you knit for? (I’m trying to avoid duplicate match-ups.
3. Is there anything I need to know to help this process work better for you?