Here is my first project that has any purling in it. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, speed wise. It did slow me down, getting the yarn from the back to the front and back again, but not as much as I thought once I had done several rows.
This is the same pattern as my last hat, but I did a P2, K2 ribbing the whole way. My last hat was pretty big, so instead of casting on 80 stitches I went for 72. Man does that ribbing make a difference in size. I didn't think there was any way it was going to fit, but it stretches out nicely. You can see that I just used up all my scrap yarn from my first two projects.
It wasn't part of the pattern, but I had the idea of knitting up some i-cord and attaching them to the top of the hat. Pretty fun looking I think, especially as you walk and they twirl around the hat.
Sorry about the quality of the pics, my iPhone just doesn't let me focus where I want to. I will have to grab my Canon 450d next time and take pictures with that.