I just finished sewing up this jumper today and I wanted to share it with MWK friends. This is a Paton's pattern, knitted with Aussie wool Cleckheaton "Country" 8 ply. The stitch pattern is a basket weave; the colour is a lovely sage green. It took me 3 months from start to finish. I found the stitch pattern tedious because of the constant changing from knit to purl stitches. This also posed a challenge regarding gauge.
I enjoyed this project because I tried some new techniques. First, I mucked around with the pattern in order to make it more fitting to me and not just conforming to the directions. During the last 3 months I've lost over 2 stone and that gave me some challenges. I am pleased with the fit and now that I've tasted freedom from a pattern, I want more!
I'd never done a jumper with set-in sleeves so this, too, was something new. I like them better than drop-sleeves and others. They do require some work to set them in but knitted fabric is much easier to do this than woven cloth.
I knitted the crew collar and then folded it over and slip-stitched the back. I've always wanted to try that technique and I love the final product. I will do that all the time as the finished look it much better than just a single layer.
The biggest challenge was doing the shoulder seam differently. In the past, I would bind-off and then sew the shoulders together. This time, however, I did short-row shaping and then a 3-needle bind off. I can't believe how much better the shoulder is formed. If you've not tried these 2 complimentary techniques, do so on your next jersey; you'll never go back to BO and sewing the shoulder seams!
I've included an attached photo of the pattern stitches.