Well here is clog number one. I stayed up until 12:30 last night trying to get it finished. I still have to weave in the ends. If you look close in the pic you can see that I have a few gaps here and there. I think that this must be related to the fact that I lost my place several times and somehow ended up with a lot more stitches than I was supposed to have. I think I either got confused and made the sole one sized larger than I was supposed to or I lost count and jumped forward somewhere around row 25 to 35.
So what I did was I just kept going until I hit the last stitch from the toe section and then I would knit it together with the one from the heel section, turn and head back the other way. It seems to have worked out OK. But then the nice thing about felting projects is that I figure most problems will go away in the washing cycle (I hope). Of course now that I have strayed from the pattern the challenge will be trying to make the second one look similar to the first.
I used a Wool Pak yarn for the upper part that is 100% wool. The color is "Bluebell" but it looks like a denim color to me. The sole and trim are knit in a navy blue cascade yarn. Hopefully using two different types of yarn won't complicate the felting process too much.
I guess you could call me the lackadaisical knitter -- I just don't sweat the details too much – especially with felting. This all drives my partner crazy - he is a knitter too and also a civil engineer. I am a social worker and much more relaxed about following patterns, rules etc. Husband rips out rows of work if he finds a mistake -- I take the approach that minor mistakes just make things look more handmade and the work should stay the way it came out the first time.