Curtain stretchers

I know this is not exactly a knitting question but does anyone know where I can find a set of old fashioned curtain stretchers ? My mother used them to dry her curtains and her crocheted table cloths. I think they would be a great thing for blocking just about anything. They folded up to store and except for sticking your fingers, once in a while on the pins, they were a handy gadget.


Joe-in Wyoming's picture

I'm afraid I can't help you about the curtain stretchers. However, I made a Shetland-style stretching frame out of long, straight 1x2 lumber and some clamps. (Similar to quilting frames.) I laced the damp knitting onto the frame with strong crochet cotton, letting it dry and block. The original fixed frames had pegs to attach the lace work to (if memory serves) but I wanted something I could dismantle and store. There's a photo of them in Sharon Miller's "Heirloom Knitting". -- Books, knitting, cats, fountain pens...Life is Good.

Books, knitting, cats, fountain pens...Life is Good.