BSJ disappointment.

I have just finished my second BSJ and I am really disappointed. The first one I made looked really great, so I was excited to make another, but this looks like something the cat dragged in. On one side, I screwed up the bit at the bottom where you have to pick up 10 stitches. Not much I can do about that and I can live with it. But the whole thing generally looks crappy and mis-shapen. The yarn is 50% silk and 50% cotton. I have never blocked before. (I know this is probably shocking, but I am a newer knitter and I generally make things for babies so shape has never seemed a problem until now). I know that blocking would do much for a wool garment, but will it help silk/cotton? The edges also look uneven and lumpy. Do people have ideas to improve their appearance? I was going to try an i-cord which I believe I can add after the fact (?), but I am open to other suggestions. Finally, do I try to improve the edges before or after blocking? Thanks guys, eli


AKQGuy's picture

I don't quite understand what is happening with the I cord so can't answer to that... I do know that depending on the type of cotton, it can block, in fact, most fabrics will block to a degree. I'd say if you are generally unhappy with it, what will trying blocking hurt? And you would play with the edges and pin them out during blocking if that's the road you choose.

Good luck!

Crafty Andy's picture

Visit Crafty Andy's Blog
Without a picture we can't really give you much, but if after blocking you still have problems then you may want to take advantage of the design and use a crochet hook and create a fancy edge.

ronhuber's picture

This won't help on this project but for future ones - try to slip the first stitch on each row instead of working it. I think you will find the edges are much sharper and keep their shape. You can add I cord. Grab an Elizabeth Zimmermann book or check on the numerous tutorials on the internet.

jwhassjr's picture

It's important to remember that EZ made most everything out of wool, including the BSJ. That said, it's likely your choice of fiber that is mostly contributing to the shaping not being to your satisfaction. If you do decide to add any sort of border, do it before blocking the garment. Blocking before adding the edging will cause different measurements, which in turn will affect the gauge in which you apply to the border. This is something that EZ discusses in Knitter's Workshop: in theory you could knit something in the round using four dpns, all different sizes, and intuitively you will achieve a consistent gauge throughout the entire piece. By blocking the garment before you apply the edging, you will mostly likely apply the edging at a guage that is comparable to the blocked piece, then when the whole garment is blocked, you will end up with a much loser gauge on the edging than on the garment.

I haven't experimented to see if this theory holds water, but if EZ says it could happen, I would say you can bank on it being true.