Invisible cast on

Kiwi asked how to do this. You use a crochet hook. You make a slip knot around the crochet hook, then you hold your knitting needle in your left hand, you reach around graby the yarn, pull it thru, then flip the yarn over and around the needle and keep doing it. If you need to cast on say 50 stitches, then put abbout 53 stitches on your needle by this method. You just use throw away scrap yarn, you arent' using your main yarn for this. Then you take your second knitting needle and go into these fake stitches and actually do your first row of knitting. When you get to picking up the bottom row, picking up going into the round, you just pull out on the fake stitch, pick it up, and pull out the fake yarn It just unravels. I hope this makes sense. There probably is a great video of it on knittinghelp.com. I just had the owner of my local yarn store show it to me and it really really works well.

Robert

Fun fantastic fibers and BFA's

So i went to the Rhinbeck NYS Wool and Sheep Festival this past weekend and got some really fun fobers to spin and knit etc. First i fell upon some great merino/silk blend. Nice, but not too oout of the ordinary.
Then i found some Yak Fiber and freaked out a little bit inside. So bought it.
Then the last thing i found that knocked my socks off and took my breath away was something called EcoSpun and its 100% Recylced Plastics Soda Bottles. Consequently, i cannot wait to get it on my wheel, then on my needles. Gotta be cool.
Ok Next i was wondering if anyone knows of a University or specialty school where i can receive a BFA or degree in Fiber Arts...? I found a program at Syracuse University and may visit to see how the program is. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know please:) thanks. and done.
t

Debbie Bliss Teddy Bears

I decided to knit something totally different this time and I bought the Debbie Bliss book on teddy bears and clothing for them. I have always admired the knitted toys done by other MWK members and a teddy was challenging for me. However, I cannot get the proper gauge/tension required by the pattern. I spent 2 days making swatches, trying all sorts of needle sizes but had absolutely no luck and I'm not talking about a 1 stitch variance here. Has anyone had experience with the patterns in this book? I've given up and put the book away in exasperation.

New cast on

I"m doing a Sophie Purse out of Lopi. Its a really coarse wool. Felts great though. Anyway, I usually do a Norwegian long tail cast on. It was harder than heck to pick up my bottom edge to get it into the round. I fought it for like an hour. Learned an invisible cast on last night and started another purse, and man, what a difference. I can't believe I hadn't learned another cast on before now. I'm on a roll. Made 3 purses in the last 4 days. I might make my Christmas deadline! :-)

Black Shrug

this Shrug is made from Baby Alpaca Grande yarn with size US11 circ. Pattern is fairly easy.

CO 120 (I used long tail/slingshot)
K2P2 Rib for 7.5 inches
Decrease to 60 stitches using K2tog,P2tog
Continue Pattern of K1P1 Ribbing for 16 inches
Increase back to 120 stitches by
K1, M1-kwise (bar increase) PF&B across.
Continue in K2P2 ribbing for 7.5 inches, bind off.

Your piece now looks like an odd hour-glass. stitch sides up 9 inches from C/O-B/O edges. (top right to bottom right, Top left to bottom left. The narrow portion which is now left open are the armholes.

Pullover

This pullover was knitted from a New Zealand wool "Touch" which is super fine kid mohair and merino wool - very, very soft and warm. I don't care much for knitting in this wool as I tend to drop stitches for some reason. But, admittedly, the feel of the final product is very nice.

The colours are a variegated greens, gold, burgandy, rust and tan. I was pleased that they didn't knit up in a stripey fashion but more blotchy. The colours don't show up well in the photo.

I did steeks for the sleeves and curved them so that I eliminated the drop sleeves. The front neck line is a semi-circular steek. Instead of adding the extra stitches to the last round of ribbing, I added them at the sides on the way up. It worked well.

Taxonomy upgrade extras: