I found some fantastic wool from Italy with the name "Vero". It was so wonderfully soft that I could not resist buying it even though I'm not a fan of variegated yarns. The label did not indicate either the size or the suggested gauge so I got out my WPI and discovered that this is a heavy worsted. I worked out a 5.5 mm needle gave the best results and then worked the basic sweater pattern from "The Sweater Workshop". I did a steek for the neck and decided I wanted to try to make a shawl collar. What I learned is that I should have cut the neckline steek further down the front to give a larger hole and then I could have crossed the collar over both sides and been able to poke my head though as well. But, since I'm on the learn as I go programme, I didn't do it exactly right but at least I have a collar that isn't the same old thing. In knitting this up, I found that the variegation was not consistent so I didn't try to match the stripes and just let it knit out as the colours came along.
There has been some discussion about blocking recently on MWK. I didn't block this but gave it a gentle hand wash and laid it out to dry. This evened-out any wayward looking stitches and fluffed the wool up.